It is a legal requirement to always carry your driving license while driving on Irish roads. If your licence is If your driving licence expires, you can apply for a replacement 3 months before its expiry, it’s advised to get your replacement as soon as possible as sometimes there can be delays and you are legally not allowed to drive with an expired licence.
- You hold a driving licence that will expire within 3 months
- You held a full driving licence that in the last 10 years
If you hold a provisional driving licence, you only have 2 years after expiration to renew and if you do not, you also need to complete the Driver Theory Test again.
How to renew your driving licence in Ireland
You can renew your license online at the National Driver’s Licence Services website.
You need the f
- A Public Services Card and a MyGov account
- You need a document to show proof of your address and this document needs to be dated within the last 6 months.
- If you are from outside of the EU, you need proof of residence within Ireland
- If you have a medical or eye condition, you need an updated medical form within the last month.
- For people under the age of 70 years of age, the renewal fee costs 55 euros.
You can renew your license at the National Drivers License website.
You can also explore our easy step-by-step guide to getting a C1 licence in Ireland, including the costs and requirements for a rewarding commercial driving career. You can also check what to do if you’ve lost your driving licence.
If you need low-cost insurance or want to get a cheaper car insurance quote, Insure My Cars help customers get the best car insurance quotes. For a low-cost motor insurance quote, get in touch with us today.